As a traveler who loves to explore hidden gems, Brooklyn’s Dumbo neighborhood, with its stunning views of the Manhattan Bridge, has always been on my bucket list. So, when I got the opportunity to visit New York City, I knew I had to include this charming neighborhood on my itinerary.
Dumbo, which stands for “Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass,” is a trendy, artsy neighborhood that offers a unique mix of old and new. The area’s cobblestone streets, historic buildings, and industrial architecture blend seamlessly with the modern art galleries, chic restaurants, and cafes that line the waterfront.
But what makes Dumbo truly special are the breathtaking views of the Manhattan Bridge, which is the neighborhood’s most iconic landmark. Here are some of the best ways to discover Dumbo’s hidden gems and soak in the stunning views of the Manhattan Bridge:
How to Reach Dumbo
Before diving into the best things to do and see in Dumbo, it’s essential to know how to get there. Here are some ways to reach Dumbo:
- Subway: Take the F train to York Street or the A/C trains to High Street/Brooklyn Bridge station. From there, it’s a short walk to Dumbo.
- Ferry: Take the East River Ferry from Manhattan or Queens to the Brooklyn Bridge Park/Dumbo Terminal.
- Car: If you’re driving, there are several parking garages in the area, but they can be expensive.
Best Things to Do in Dumbo and Manhattan Bridge
Once you’ve arrived in Dumbo, it’s time to start exploring. Here are some of the best things to do and see in this charming neighborhood:
- Brooklyn Bridge Park: This 85-acre park is a waterfront oasis that offers stunning views of the Manhattan skyline and the Brooklyn Bridge. You can take a leisurely stroll along the park’s promenade, relax on the grassy lawns, or enjoy a picnic with a view.
- Jane’s Carousel: This restored carousel, located in Brooklyn Bridge Park, is a must-visit attraction for families and children. The 48 hand-carved horses date back to 1922 and are a true work of art.
- St. Ann’s Warehouse: This theater, housed in a 19th-century tobacco warehouse, showcases some of the best theater, dance, and music performances in New York City.
- Dumbo Walls: This outdoor gallery features vibrant, colorful murals by some of the world’s most renowned street artists. It’s the perfect place to snap some Instagram-worthy photos.
- Time Out Market: This food hall, located in the Empire Stores building, features some of New York City’s best chefs and restaurants. From artisanal pizza to Japanese street food, there’s something for everyone here.
Best Views of the Manhattan Bridge
Where to Find the Best Views
Of course, the highlight of any visit to Dumbo is the stunning views of the Manhattan Bridge. Here are some of the best spots to soak in the views:
- Washington Street: This street, with its iconic view of the Manhattan Bridge framed by brick buildings, is one of the most photographed locations in New York City.
- Pebble Beach: Located in Brooklyn Bridge Park, this secluded beach offers stunning views of the Manhattan skyline and the Brooklyn Bridge.
- Empire Stores Rooftop: The Empire Stores building, which used to be a coffee warehouse, has been converted into a trendy shopping and dining destination. The rooftop of the building offers panoramic views of the Manhattan skyline and the Brooklyn Bridge.
- Brooklyn Heights Promenade: This promenade, located just north of Dumbo, offers stunning views of the Manhattan skyline and the Brooklyn Bridge. It’s the perfect place for a romantic stroll or a relaxing picnic.
- Brooklyn Bridge: Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge is an iconic New York City experience that offers stunning views of the Manhattan skyline and the East River. Be sure to bring your camera!
The wrap | Dumbo and Manhattan Bridge
In a nutshell, a visit to Dumbo is an unforgettable experience that offers a unique blend of history, culture, and stunning views. Whether you’re a foodie, an art lover, or a nature enthusiast, there’s something for everyone in this charming neighborhood. And of course, the views of the Manhattan Bridge are not to be missed! So, pack your bags, grab your camera, and head to Dumbo for an unforgettable adventure.