Latest Hiking Trends : Hiking is one of the most popular outdoor activities in the world and for good reasons. It offers countless benefits for your physical and mental health, such as improving your fitness, reducing stress, boosting your mood, and connecting you with nature. Hiking is also a great way to explore new places, cultures, and landscapes, and to challenge yourself with different levels of difficulty and adventure.
But hiking is not a static activity. It evolves with the times, influenced by factors such as technology, environmental issues, social trends, and personal preferences. As a travel blogger who loves hiking, I always keep an eye on the latest developments and innovations in the hiking industry, and I’m here to share with you some of the most exciting latest hiking trends that you need to know about in 2023.
Whether you’re a beginner or an expert hiker, a solo traveler or a group enthusiast, a casual walker or a hardcore trekker, these latest hiking trends will inspire you to plan your next hiking trip and make it more enjoyable, memorable, and rewarding.
So without further ado, here are the 5 latest hiking trends you need to know about in 2023:
Hiking across the Alps | Latest Hiking Trends
One of the most ambitious and exhilarating latest hiking trends in 2023 is crossing the Alps by foot. This is not a hike for the faint-hearted, as it requires a high level of fitness, endurance, and preparation. But if you’re up for the challenge, you’ll be rewarded with stunning views of snow-capped mountains, lush valleys, alpine lakes, and charming villages along the way.
There are several routes and variations to choose from when crossing the Alps, but one of the most popular and scenic ones is the E5 Long-Distance Hiking Path. This trekking route spans over 370 miles (600 km) from Oberstdorf in Germany to Meran in Italy, passing through Austria and Switzerland along the way. It takes about 30 days to complete the whole trail, but you can also do shorter sections or join guided tours that include luggage transfer and accommodation.
Another option for crossing the Alps is to follow one of the four consecutive hiking tours from Munich to Venice that Eurohike offers. These tours range from easy to moderate difficulty and cover different regions and landscapes of the Alps. You can choose to do one or more of these tours depending on your time and preference. The best part is that you don’t have to worry about carrying your luggage or finding a place to stay, as Eurohike takes care of everything for you.
Hiking & Wine
If you’re looking for one of the more relaxing and indulgent latest hiking trends in 2023, then hiking & wine is for you. This trend combines two of my favorite things: walking through beautiful countryside and tasting delicious wines along the way. Hiking & wine tours are perfect for wine lovers who want to discover new regions and varieties of wine while enjoying some fresh air and exercise.
There are many wine regions in Europe that offer amazing hiking & wine tours, such as Tuscany in Italy, Bordeaux in France, Rioja in Spain, and Mosel in Germany. But one of my personal favorites is the Rhineland-Palatinate in Germany, where you can hike along the Rheinsteig Trail and visit some of the best wineries and vineyards in the country. The Rheinsteig Trail runs for 200 miles (320 km) along the right bank of the Rhine River from Bonn to Wiesbaden, passing through picturesque towns, castles, forests, and hills.
You can either do the whole trail or choose a shorter section that suits your schedule and interest. For example, you can do a short hiking holiday from Rüdesheim to St. Goarshausen in 5 days or from Mainz to Koblenz in 8 days. Along the way, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to sample some of the finest Riesling wines in Germany and learn about their history and production.
Hiking Apps | Latest Hiking Trends
Technology has become an integral part of our lives, and hiking is no exception. Hiking apps are one of the most useful and convenient latest hiking trends in 2023 that can enhance your hiking experience and make it easier and safer. Hiking apps can help you plan your route, find trails near you or anywhere in the world, and track your distance, speed, elevation, calories burned, and more. They can also provide you with maps, directions, weather forecasts, emergency contacts, tips, reviews, and other useful information.
There are many hiking apps available for both Android and iOS devices, but some of the most popular and reliable ones are:
- Gaia GPS: This app lets you download offline maps for any location in the world and access them even without an internet connection. You can also customize your maps with different layers such as satellite imagery, topographic lines, public lands boundaries, etc.
- AllTrails: This app has over 100,000 trails worldwide that you can browse by location, difficulty level,
activity type (hiking, biking, running), length (short or long), rating (from other users), etc.
- PeakVisor: This app uses augmented reality to identify any mountain peak that you point your camera at. It also shows you detailed information about each peak such as elevation,
distance from you, prominence, etc.
- Spyglass: This app turns your smartphone into a powerful compass that can show you your location, direction, speed, altitude, and more. It also has a built-in sextant, gyroscope, and inclinometer that can help you navigate by stars, sun, and moon.
Another one of the most important Latest Hiking Trends in 2023 is eco-friendly hiking. This trend reflects the growing awareness and concern about environmental issues such as climate change, deforestation, pollution, and biodiversity loss.
Eco-friendly hiking means hiking in a way that minimizes your impact on nature and supports its conservation.
Some of the ways to practice eco-friendly hiking are:
- Follow the Leave No Trace principles: These principles are based on respect for nature and other people and include planning ahead and preparing, traveling and camping on durable surfaces, disposing of waste properly, leaving what you find, minimizing campfire impacts, respecting wildlife, and being considerate of other visitors.
- Choose sustainable gear: When buying or renting gear for your hike, look for products that are made from recycled or organic materials, have a low carbon footprint, use renewable energy sources, and have minimal packaging. You can also opt for second-hand gear or borrow it from friends or family instead of buying new ones.
- Support local communities: When traveling to your hiking destination, choose public transportation or carpooling instead of driving alone. When staying overnight, choose eco-friendly accommodations such as campsites or homestays instead of hotels. When eating or shopping, choose local and organic food and products instead of imported or processed ones.
Solo Hiking | latest hiking trends in 2023
Solo hiking is one of the another latest hiking trends that is gaining popularity in 2023. Solo hiking means hiking alone without any companions or guides. Solo hiking can be a rewarding experience that allows you to enjoy nature at your own pace, challenge yourself with your own goals, and discover yourself with your own thoughts. Solo hiking can also help you develop skills such as self-reliance, problem-solving, and decision-making.
However, solo hiking also comes with some risks such as getting lost, injured, or attacked by animals or people. Therefore, solo hiking requires careful planning and preparation before hitting the trail. Some of the things to consider when solo hiking are:
- Choose an appropriate trail: Pick a trail that matches your fitness level and experience level. Avoid trails that are too remote or too crowded. Check the weather forecast and trail conditions before leaving.
- Inform someone: Let someone know where you are going and when you expect to return. Give them a copy of your itinerary and contact details. Check in with them regularly during your hike.
- Pack wisely: Bring enough water and food for your hike plus some extra in case of emergency.
- Bring a map and compass or GPS device plus some backup batteries. Bring a first-aid kit and personal medication. Bring a whistle and flashlight or headlamp. Bring a knife or multi-tool. Bring a fire starter and matches or a lighter. Bring a tent or sleeping bag if camping overnight. Bring extra clothing layers according to the weather. Bring sunscreen and insect repellent.
- Stay safe: Follow the trail signs and markers. Don’t wander off or take shortcuts. Don’t hike at night or during bad weather. Don’t approach wildlife or feed them. Don’t drink untreated water from streams or lakes. Don’t leave any trash behind. Don’t take any risks that could endanger yourself or others.
This was the list of our latest hiking trends that you should try at least once. We hope this blog helped you gaining information and make a wise decision for your next hike.